What is Hospital Accreditation?
National Accreditation Board for Hospitals and Healthcare Providers (NABH) is a constituent board of Quality Council of India (QCI), set up to establish and operate Hospital Accreditation Program for healthcare organizations. The board is structured to cater to much desired needs of the consumers and to set benchmarks for progress of health industry. The board while being supported by all stakeholders including industry, consumers, government, has fully functional autonomy in its operation. The objective of NABH is enhancing health system & promoting continuous quality improvement and patient safety. It is a body which operates accreditation and allied programs on patient safety and healthcare quality.
NABH is an institutional member of the International Society for Quality in Health Care (ISQUA). ISQUA is an international body which grants approval to Accreditation Bodies in the area of healthcare as mark of equivalence of accreditation program of member countries.
International Society for Quality in Healthcare (ISQua) has accredited “Standards for Hospitals” developed by National Accreditation Board for Hospitals & Healthcare Providers (NABH, India). The approval of ISQua authenticates that NABH standards are in consonance with the global benchmarks set by ISQua. The hospitals accredited by NABH will have international recognition, this will provide boost to medical tourism.
International Society for Quality in Health Care (ISQua) is an international body which grants approval to Accreditation Bodies in the area of healthcare as mark of equivalence of accreditation program of member countries. So far hospital standards of Australia , Canada , Egypt , Hong Kong , Ireland , Japan , Jordan , Kyrgyz Republic , South Africa , Taiwan , United Kingdom etc. 11 countries were accredited by ISQua. India becomes the 12th country to join in this group.
NABH - Hospital Accreditation
NABH Hospital Accreditation is aimed at establishing common framework for healthcare organizations to demonstrate and practice compliance to patient safety protocols. Although accreditation is voluntary, there is growing trend whereby regulatory/affiliating/paying agencies are using NABH accreditation for empanelment of hospitals.
Benefits of NABH Accreditation
Following are the key benefits that organization can achieve with implementation of NABH accreditation system in any hospital or healthcare unit.
· Patients are benefited with accreditation most.
· Accreditation results in high quality of care and patient safety. The patients get services by credential medical staff.
· Rights of patients are respected and protected.
· Patient satisfaction can be evaluated.
· The staff is satisfied a lot, as it provides for continuous learning.
· Accreditation to a healthcare organization stimulates continuous improvement.
· It enables the organization in demonstrating commitment to quality care.
· It also provides opportunity to healthcare units to benchmark with the best.
· Accreditation provides access to reliable and certified information on facilities, infrastructure and level of care.
Under NABH, following Accreditation Programs are going on:
Hospital Accreditation Requirements
Following are the general and technical NABH accreditation requirements that any organization must follow while implementation of NABH system to achieve best results and quick NABH certification/accreditation.
· Access, Assessment and continuity of care (AAC)
· Patient Right and Education (PRE).
· Care of Patients (COP).
· Management of Medication (MOM).
· Hospital Infection Control (HIC).
· Continuous Quality Improvement(CQI)
· Responsibility of Management (ROM).
· Facility Management and Safety (FMS).
· Human Resource Management (HRM)
· Information Management System (IMS).
Role of Consultant
Quality Consultants assist you in securing the highest quality standards in your organisation that are appropriate to your business requirements, your special taste, and within your budget. We are skilled in facilitating the modern needs of the changing healthcare scenario. We understand each hospital or healthcare organisation while reflecting general patterns still has its own unique characteristics based on its own differences of individuals, history & situations. We help you to assess your organisation’s strength, opportunities, to fight with your weaknesses and identification of threats so that your organisation gets adapted to the changing needs of today’s healthcare scenario.
HOW WE HELP ACHIEVING NABH:
1. Gap assessment and analysis programme based on NABH: Assessment of infrastructural, human resource and biomedical equipment processes, documentation, orientation of staff and other features with respect to accreditation norms. Assisting on developing plans towards fulfilment of the gaps with hospital staff so that the services offered support accreditation standards.
2. Assisting the organization and formulation of committees and teams and guiding on the development of Quality Assurance Programme
3. Assisting in the Development of Documents, (SOPs, Manuals, Policies, instructions for the hospital) modulating the existing system and suggesting changes to support accreditation norms. The required documents will be developed in collaboration with the hospital staff.
4. Assistance in developing and reviewing the hospital plan for accreditation at various stages of the project orientation, training and assistance towards developing an organizational quality structure and culture that would set the pace for involving and integrating the hospital staff in the accreditation process.
5. Training need analysis and imparting time to time training. Training of pre-identified Hospital staff on NABH methodology for accreditation. Organization of training programmes throughout the accreditation preparation process
6. Assistance in the development of record keeping programme of the healthcare facility through guidance on the organizing of records.
7. Development of performance indicators and data collection & its analysis.
8. Facilitation on the development of a facility assessment programme through training of facility staff to conduct assessments, assistance in organizing for internal assessments, facilitation in the conduction of mock drills, internal assessments and assistance in evaluating the results of internal assessment.
9. Filling up of self-assessment toolkit